Followers

Saturday 5 March 2011

Crackle Paint Embellishments

A few people have asked me how I made the 'Crackle Embellishments' on my two latest cards
So I will try and explain how I do it

I bought some Tim holtz 'Crackle Paint' the other day just to have a dabble and I am so pleased I did!



Here are the other things I use




First of all I cut three shapes out of card
You can see I have used 'Shapeabilities Butterlies 2'
You can find these here
These are just ideal as they are solid shapes with no holes
I glue the three shapes together with 'Anita's Tacky Glue' and leave to dry
Now here is the secret cover the whole shape with 'Glossy Accents' and leave to set solid (takes a few hours)
I discovered this bit by accident!
At first I  covered my heart with the crackle paint without glossy accents.....although it did crackle it didn't have the effect that the ones on my cards have......the cracks were small and fine
I was still quite pleased but decided to give the heart a glossy appearance too
Big mistake! The cracks filled with the gloss and I was left with a pink glossy heart
So I thought I wonder what will happen if I paint back over the heart with the crackle paint
Wow the cracks opened wide and gave the effects you can see on my cards.....the paint glided over the slippy surface as it dried creating the large cracks!
So that is now why I cover my shapes with the glossy first
The Crackle Paint dries in no time and you can see the cracks appear more or less in front of your eyes
Don't be afraid to wallop plenty of it on to your shape either because the thicker  the paint the larger the cracks


Here is a butterfly I made earlier



You can also sponge some distress ink around the edges to add some dimension



Now I just NEED  more colours in the 'Crackle Paint'!


Photobucket

32 comments:

Denise said...

Gorgeous butterfly - must get me some of these paints !!

Auntie Em said...

Love your butterflies! I love the crackle paint but never thought of using it over glossy accents. Know what my next project will be.
Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all these tips and explanations, Janet. Your butterfly looks brilliant! I think I might need to buy some paint and have a go too...

Kathkat.

Teresa said...

Wow Thats fantastic Janet thank you for sharing, I've got one pot of paint I shall give it a go. Hugs Teresa xx

Christine said...

Wow thanks for the info looks like I need to have a spend NOW..LOL

smiles Christine xx

Nannieflash said...

Wow Janet will have to have a try at that as your butterfly looks fabulous. with hugs Shirleyxxx

Kathleen said...

Just pop over from DC to have a peek. Wow thats very interesting. Your butterfly is gorgeous. I need to some crackle paints and glossy accents.

D K Crafts said...

Hi Janet. Wow!!! Gorgeous butterfly. Thanks for the tutorial. Donna

Judi said...

Great tutorial Janet - I'll have to give it a try as your butterflies look gorgeous!

Judi x

Kathleen said...

these are lovely janet. surprised sir tim hasn't told us about this technique - maybe he doesn't know. think you should email him and direct him to your blog!!!
kathleen mc xxx

Desirée-ScrapDees said...

thanks for the info, the butterfly is so lovely!

Diane said...

Oh my,this is gorgeous!

Sandra said...

WOW...gorgeous butterfly Janet and great tutorial too!...i will have to have a go :0)

Anne-Marie said...

Stunning....got to try this! Thanks sweetie, :D

Liz said...

Wonderful tut hun

liz x

Gaynor Greaves said...

Thank heavens for Blogland and people like you. Thank you so much for sharing, I will be giving this a go, your cards are amazing. Gaynor.

pinky said...

Wow they are so gorgeous, brilliant technique which I will definitely try.

Jennifer said...

Glad you explained Janet. I was wondering why unlike yours, my cracks were fine when I tried it earlier. Will try it your way too. Thanks xx Jenny xx

Tammy said...

Beautiful....I love the little helpful hint...i just purchased some of the crackle.
smiles...Tammy

Sarpreet said...

doesnt the crackle paint flake off? absolutely gorgeous

Berry said...

Wow thanks for the tip Janet love that butterfly will do this glossy accent and crackl paint thing again soon Hugs Rebekah xx

Sarah said...

Wow they look fab, love the shine between the cracks.

Noreen said...

What a discovery, thanks for the tutorial Janet xx

Maryann Laursen said...

WOW this is really cool. Thank you so much for the great tutorial on these. I´m definately going to try and make some of these, as they´re jsut awesome. Hope I can make them look as nice as yours, as they´re really awesome.
Thanks soo much again hun, have a wonderful week-end.

Debra said...

Janet this is awesome! I believe you have started a brand new trend! I too will be scraplifing (but giving due credit!)!

tracy said...

i must try this, trouble is i have no gloss grrr,

Amanda said...

Great tutorial - thank you

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your great idea/technique!!! Thank you!

ALI said...

Hi Janet, just getting round to having a go at this but my glossy accents goes on really thick, is this right.
Thanks

Lagene said...

Thanks for this tip!!!!

KarmaCraft said...

Brilliant, I'm so glad you shared this with us. Thank you!

Sandra said...

Thank you so much for sharing, I'm going to try this because it looks fabulous.